Wednesday, February 23, 2011

260. Syria in Winter



The hills to the east that were dry and brown when I last passed his way are white with snow. It is still winter, but for me there is no turning back.


The Syrian border is closed. There is too much snow on the highway on the Syrian side for traffic to move so I lose the money I paid for the trip to Damascus and the driver lets us out at a village near the border where I get a cheap hotel room. It’s wonderful to be free!


Up early. After a short wait standing in the snow I catch a cab. True enough, there are rows of trucks stuck in the ice on the Syrian side but our clever driver navigates us through to Damascus in four hours. In Damascus I change a little money and board a bus to Aleppo.


Northern Syria is about as interesting to cross in the winter as west Texas.


...

No comments: