Thursday, February 10, 2011

249. Winter Riot



And now, back to the logbook: “I have the bad feeling that I am only killing time waiting for my retirement check from Hawaii and warm weather. I would rather be on the road. But here I’ve got to stay so I am going to relax and enjoy it as much as possible.

It’s as cold as the arctic but I take long walks for the exercise and for the change of scenery. A kid pedals his bike by with about thirty live, clucking chickens hanging on a framework by their claws. I arrive at a street blocked by burning tires. I walk around them but see at the next crossroads more burning tires. A big, cheerful fat man taps me on the shoulder. The only word I understand from his polite speech is “go”. It looks like I am walking into a riot of some kind so I gladly go. This is a lousy, miserably cold day for a riot! Much better to stay home by a toasty fire today! I buy cauliflower, some beans, onions and even some canned corned beef and stew up a great meal on a borrowed stove and then I fix some hot tea!

A friend comes over in the late afternoon. We go out to a sweet-bean sidewalk stand where we buy a bowl of beans for five cents. Than we walk downtown for coffee and chess at another café. I lose the chess games by one-move margins. Oh, those one-move margins! I’ve got to get myself together in those one-move margin games but even more in the Master Game of Life and that means work!


...

No comments: