Monday, February 21, 2011

258. Disappearing Act




After the army is finished clearing the bandits out of Old Town, I return to live in the old Mosque/tomb.


I am awakened very early one morning by hammering on the street door.


It is one of my rich English language students. Today is the day I am supposed  to go with him to the American Embassy in Beirut where he wants to apply for a student visa to the USA. He has asked me to go with him for company, moral support and to perhaps put in a good word for him though I have told him I have absolutely no influence with the US government!


His jaw drops when I bring my backpack with me.


I have decided to move along and I will leave without saying goodbye. I just want to be free again and I don't know how my decision to leave would be accepted--it might cause trouble.


The student is reluctant to take my stuff to Beirut in his car, but I tell him I’ll simply catch a bus if he won’t; and he wants me to help him get his visa, so he agrees to what I think he thinks is a trade-out. He probably thinks I am an American spy so that if he helps me out I will help him get his visa.


Man, these people are so messed up with their propaganda and paranoia and this seems to be a dangerous place to be for an ignorant country boy like me!


...

No comments: