Wednesday, February 16, 2011

254. End of Tape


Writing every day in this log—though it has often been only a few lines, has made me critical of my own writing skill and more appreciative of other writers. I especially like writers who are honest rather than arty with words. No, I don’t care for “cute” writing, though I do enjoy some cleverness with words like I sometimes read in the national news magazines. For me the best writer is the one who has something interesting and helpful to say and who says it in most natural way. I like writing that is conversational, simple, direct and sometimes profound.
The writer who puts the great thought into the few precisely correct words is the one I like to read and the one I would like to be.

Well, there isn’t room on this tape to go on and tell you more, but it’s been a pleasure talking to you folks. I hope this tape reaches you in good health. I’m enjoying generally good health myself so in a way I’m sorry I read you the not so funny “diarrhea” pages of my diary but you know there are lots of high times as well as low times when you’re traveling!”

...

No comments: