Sunday, February 20, 2011

257. Women Unveiled


I have seen Adam several times since he brought me to Tripoli and one evening he takes me with him to meet his cousin who is married to an American woman.


As I have said, men and women are totally separated socially in this traditional Moslem society, but this evening for a few moments at the cousin’s house I am actually in the same room with two unveiled women, one American and one French, and several Lebanese men! Shocking, isn’t it?


As soon as politely possible all the men except Adam and Adam’s cousin leave the room. I am left alone for perhaps five minutes with Adam, his cousin and their foreign-born wives. I ask the American wife how she likes living in this Moslem society. She says that at first the rigid sexual roles practiced here drove her almost crazy but she has grown accustomed to the life. Besides her husband is very rich and they live six months of every year very well in the USA. (Ah, love!) She also tells me that women have a much larger share of the real power here than is apparent to a stranger like me.


She invites me to visit her home but sex being what it is here I doubt if a visiting male would be tolerated by anyone and might be fatal for me!


For example, I saw a pretty shop girl in the Old Town when I was walking with one of my Moslem friends and told him I might come back later and ask her for a date. He said, “Oh no. Don’t do that! Her brother would have to kill you.” --and he would too!


This is the House the Guilt Built.


...

No comments: