Monday, May 25, 2009

3 Zen Choice


Zen Choice



The day before I left Hawaii, I went by to see Toshi at the Cosmic Computer he had built out of bamboo and scrap wood on the front lawn of the University of Hawaii.

He made the sprawling machine to prove his theory that all numbers are a closed system of relationships. The idea of infinity is therefore an illusion, he believes.


Toshi has lived on a dollar a day for the last year so that he can concentrate on his Cosmic Computer. I contributed one of the dollars so he said I owned one day’s work. I offered another dollar but he said he would wait for another business partner when the next day came.

Tied to the tallest bamboo pole of Toshi’s cosmic computer is an American flag “because this is the only country in the world which would allow me to do this”, he said.

Toshi said Zen is choosing a thing to do and then devoting oneself to it.

The Cosmic Computer is his Zen thing; earthprobe is mine.



...

No comments: