Sunday, May 15, 2011

315. Backpack Stuffing




My backpack, the one I called my Big Red Friend, was made of lightweight, red, heavy-duty nylon. It had four horizontally zippered compartments, which was very handy because you didn’t have to dig down to the bottom of the bag for small loose stuff, and two small zippered pockets on each side for smaller things I needed handy..These compartments were very good for keeping things separated that need to be separated, for example my eating equipment and food isolated from my old sweat socks.


I called the four larger separate backpack compartments my “kitchen”, my “bedroom”, my “bathroom/closet” and my “study”.


The backpack was attached to a lightweight aluminium/webbing frame with some handy steel pins, or it could be detached if you didn’t want to be bothered with the frame.


The frame had an adjustable belt that rested on my hips (instead of circling the waist) with a quick-release buckle and padded shoulder straps so that it was fairly comfortable to carry. When I bought it, it was the largest backpack available, but this was not good because I discovered I would carry  I whatever would fit into my luggage. Now I prefer to carry small luggage so I will carry less stuff, which means less weight to lug!


But my Big Red Friend’s frame was pretty much destroyed by the US custom officer’s drug search at Honolulu International Airport. I accepted that as one of the prices of earthprobing and let it go, but...


Unfortunately, the frame was essential to the integrity of the  backpack--it was not so efficient after the frame was messed up so I never used the backpack again in quite the same hard way—though I did use it for some easy stateside traveling.


...

No comments: