Friday, May 13, 2011

312. Good



My old friend and colleague Wiggers invites me to spend a few days and nights on his “guest porch” until I can get myself back together.


The heavy-duty old friend who is now the English Department chairperson at the Leeward Community College branch of the University of Hawaii where I used to work takes me for a spin in her brand new bright red sports car but there is nothing for me there.

I learned to smoke with the Moslem brothers in Lebanon--now I am going through more than a pack a day. No wonder they offer a cigarette to a person about to be shot--tobacco is a wonderful depressant.


Easter Sunday. I hike up into the Nuuanu Valley to the old Royal Mausoleum Park, the most sacred place I know nearby, and spend the day under the old trees in thought. When I am ready to go, I bend down and kiss the good, warm soil of Hawaii. There are many good places to be on this horrible, beautiful earth. It is good for me to be here too.



...

No comments: