Monday, January 31, 2011

239. The Liar

And I’ll read you this Sufi story that I call:

The Liar

There was once a farmer who had lived his entire life in the country and who knew only his fields, his hut, his cow, his wife and the countryside nearby.

One day a man approached carrying a large fish on his back.



“What is that on your back?” asked the farmer.

“A fish.. A creature which lives in the water.” replied the stranger.

“Impossible!” exclaimed the farmer who had seen in his lifetime no larger a body of water than that contained in his kitchen bucket.

The stranger then explained that the fish came from the sea, which lay beyond the mountain. He described the sea and told of the many creatures, which lived in it.

“You lie!” exclaimed the farmer, “I don’t believe a word of your wild tale!”

“Then come with me over the mountain”, said the traveler, “And see these things for yourself.”

“Never!” shouted the farmer; “If you cannot show me the truth here where I live, it is proof that you lie!”

The traveler walked away and the farmer remained unchanged.


...


No comments: