Sunday, January 30, 2011

238. American Green



Now I am going back to read something I wrote about good old green American dollars and put into my logbook




American Green


The province I cross is famine-struck
There’s nothing to eat, not a bean,
But I dine on steak and caviar
If I lay out American Green.


The border guards get irate
When searching my bags they’ve been,
But they wave me through with a toothy smile
When I hand them American Green.


I pass through a country struggling
With a dictator that’s mean,
But his wild and ornery temper’s soothed
With a heap of American Green.


The “Maitre D” is angered
By my tee shirt and patchy blue jean,
But better far than tux and tails
Is a wad of American Green.


Yes, I dig the Wonders of Nature
And Night Life too’s my scene,
So I swing like a king or a hermit
With some help from American Green.


Some say the Reich Mark’s “the answer”,
On Yen or Pounds they’re keen,
But from Timbuktu to Afghanistan
They love my American Green.


Now I’ve been all over the planet
And a hell of a lot I’ve seen,
But I couldn’t have got across the street
Without that American Green.


So if you want to travel far
With a mind relaxed and serene
Just carry a backpack stuffed to the brim
With dear old American Green!