Sunday, January 2, 2011

211. Basic Islam




The morning of the first day with the guru, he takes me to visit a silent, carpeted mosque. This beautiful old building has the same peaceful, soothing effect on me as a familiar old church, a feeling I have always liked.

Then, in the mosque’s entry-hall, fitted with benches and low faucets, he shows me how to perform the ritual pre-prayer washing of the hands, eyes, ears and feet, which I find interesting and symbolic; then he demonstrates and teaches me the ritual genuflections toward Mecca: the “Quiblah”, or “Point of Concentration” which he says is the same for all Moslems everywhere. I accept these posturings as being good for one’s mind and body perhaps like basic Tai Chi or Hatha Yoga forms.

As we move about the neighborhood, the Sheikh introduces me to many of his friends. Everyone tries to help me speak Arabic, but it is not an easy language for me to learn.

Curious people constantly surround me and it is not an easy thing for me to be an alien on display. But though I am certainly not comfortable here, I have been looking for experiences like this ever since I left Hawaii and I am curious to know what this religion, “Islam” is all about. 


...

No comments: