Tuesday, January 18, 2011

226. Dead Neighbor



I told you about the room where I live. The other room to this mosque is a tomb. There is a woman who built this mosque especially for herself to be buried in and her body is in the next room; but she seems to mind her own business and evidently has very peacefully gone on to the Great Beyond because I haven’t noticed any rapping or squeaking or anything else like that around here—much to my delight.

There are windows into her room and I peek in occasionally. It’s very dusty and dirty and I’ll probably clean the place if I ever find the key to the door. I’ve been sort of cleaning around here to pay for my keep. I’ve done a little work out in the garden. It’s a small, walled garden that belongs to the mosque and one of my greatest pleasures is to go out into the garden when I eat.

The garden is all cemented. There are four or five pots with weeds growing in them and I’m going to try to plant some flowers there before I leave and since I expect to leave pretty soon I really have to get on with that project if I’m ever going to do it.

No comments: