Thursday, January 27, 2011

235 Uncle Moustache



While I was in Jerusalem I met an interesting man called “Uncle Mustache” who owned a restaurant in the Old City called “Uncle Mustache Cafe”. He had a couple of “slam books” at his restaurant that he would let anybody that wanted to write in them and some of the things people had written were very good, I think. I copied some of the guest’s writings that I liked into my logbook

Here is a poem that a girl from Canada wrote in his book:

“It is now, without meaning to offend,
time to leave.
See, the mirrors are steaming and before
we finally become ourselves,
we should part.
Go, give my love to who you once were and
tread lightly on the grass so as
not to disturb the sleeping buds.
My nights are no longer spent in remembering
and it is too late to be playing at
enjoyment.
Write to me when I have time to read and
don’t forget when I need to remember.
Tell your reflection that time is a strange
thing, and go…..(because I loved)”

No comments: