Tuesday, March 30, 2010

126. Traveling Associates


126.

I meet three more VSO’s (Volunteer Service Overseas, I think.) who give me more information about traveling east.

These British “Volunteers”, two girls and a boy, are not much older than teenagers and they are having a ball! They have bought black Tuareg robes which they wear shopping and to dances in the evening. I join them swimming at the pool at one of Niamey’s posh hotels and really enjoy their energy and enthusiasm.

Since I am facing what may be the most difficult portion of my journey across Africa, which has already been pretty harrowing, I can use a little of the good health and joy they radiate!


The New York schoolteachers have the opposite effect on me.

Whenever we meet they talk about heroin addiction, the twenty-square block burned out section of central New York City and other streetwise horrors. They seemed determined to bum me out and I don’t know why though “misery loves company” and they certainly make themselves and try to make me miserable.

I avoid them as much as possible.



...

No comments: