Wednesday, March 17, 2010

120. Mercy


120.

There is a warehouse next to my hotel where big plastic burlap sacks of grain from America are distributed to drought victims every day. This draws big crowds of hungry but not violent people.

I see some pretty bad cases of hunger on my daily walks—old men in rags lying in the street and thin mothers with bloated babies. So far these sacks of American grain seem to be the only foodstuffs donated by the international community. I don’t see anything donated by Europeans, Chinese or Soviets. These American bags are the same as the ones used for luggage by travelers on the train from the coast.


They say the local man who owns the trucks that haul this grain from the seaport is now a millionaire. The American agency that sent this food may demonstrate some social conscience but these people sure don’t have much mercy on each other!


...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is politically informative, interesting how you can go that direction.

also in the previous post, i enjoyed the snipped about the dream-self :)

i hope these stories never end!

Thomas Wold said...

Hello Eun:

This blog is an internet re-telling of a book I wrote in 1976 (Before Internet--BI).

A LOT has changed in those 30 or so years!

Imhotep Construction Company is the title I use for all the "serious" writing I do and it is kind of like old Walt Whitman"s catch-all "leaves of Grass"--a compendium of my stuff.

It may not go on forever--but may go on as ling as I can write, draw and blog.

Thanks for your kind comments. TW