Wednesday, March 24, 2010

124. Niamey, Nigeria

Tricky Dick Out.
124.

Niamey, Nigeria:


I find a “youth hostel” operated by the Nigerian government and collapse!

Two New Yorkers, a black man and a white woman traveling together, and a girl I met in Ouagadougou who came here a few days ago wake me up to listen to an important newscast in English from a portable transistor radio one of them carries.

Nixon has resigned and a man named Ford is now President of the United States. Good luck to him.

This unexpected good news calls for a celebration!

I fix some noodle soup and my fellow countrymen provide bread and beer. I propose a toast: that the new national leadership will help Americans gain a new sense of direction for the safety and preservation of the human species and the rest of the earth’s life forms.

The New Yorkers almost die laughing at my naivete. They claim that political power is economic and is always based on greed and self-service. Good American leaders, they say, are always murdered. They expect very little in the way of change from a Nixon-appointed president.



...

No comments: