Tuesday, March 16, 2010

119. Ouagadougou Swings


119.


There is a young American woman working at the Ouagadougou Embassy who cannot help me plan a travel route but who does invite me to several parties where I meet the Ouagadougou swinging set.

These charming young people treat me very well. I am quite a curiosity for them, I am sure, since this is not exactly a tourist Mecca! These local youth remind me in their clothes, music preference and conversation of the Americans of the fifties-- since I am a living relic of that interesting historic period, I fit right in!


I have been on the road long enough now to start appreciating a “home” and I have a lot of ideas about what I would like to have when I finally “come to roost.” The most important items right now seem to be two stoneware coffee mugs (one for a guest!) and a sturdy drawing table!

Night after night I experience vivid and very entertaining dreams. I guess because I am so far from familiar things my dream-self seems to indulge every pleasant fantasy. My dream-self has been touring the past and when I decide to visit the future, things get geometric and crystalline rather than soft and organic. Because of this freedom in my dreams, my sleep is really a lot of fun for me.

Here come the familiar, disgusting and painful symptoms of Montezuma’s Revenge. I guess I was too eager to try the “American” foods at the Embassy parties! My body seems pretty well healed in most ways though.


...

No comments: