Tuesday, December 29, 2009

84. Above the Amazon


Above the Amazon


84.

I can’t afford to stay in this expensive town until the next down-river boat leaves so I catch a plane for the middle third of the big river. The river shrinks as the plane flies higher. The silver ribbon on the deep green carpet below is so much easier to handle.

No wonder tourists like to fly from one interesting place to another! All that boring in-between country is just too much trouble.


The Swedish businessman seated beside me tells me what it’s like to sell refrigerators to the natives far below. His wife is happy in Sweden with the big paychecks he sends home. I’ll bet she is too!
He gets off when the plane lands in Leticia and a Portuguese-speaking gentleman takes his place. I always thought Portuguese was similar to Spanish, but I can't understand a word he says.


...

No comments: