Saturday, December 19, 2009

79. Monkey in Hand


79.

Every few hours the boat ties up to the shore and men unload cargo like bags of cement and cartons of Chicklets chewing gum.

The Canadian couple and I go ashore to explore the sun-faded villages.

The village inhabitants are dressed from a Sears catalog and the houses have plank walls with thatch roofs. There are no regular streets and no vehicles except an occasional Honda 50 motorbike plowing through the mud. It’s a long way from Ventura Freeway.


The Amazon becomes very wide and the sunset very like a Kubrick’s “2001” time tunnel. The pink, yellow and blue sky mirrored perfectly by the flat water horizon.

At midnight the boat ties up at another village. The Canadians and I are attracted by the blaring music and lamplights of a village cantina and go ashore. As we guzzle a couple of warm beers a kid tries to sell me a baby monkey, which shits in my hand. Everybody gets a big laugh out of that!

A canoe-load of oranges arrives and the passengers buy out the lot in minutes. Though there are millions of mosquitoes, the evening is pleasant. I sit on a cardboard container to watch the unloading: more cement, more Nestle canned milk. The workers try to warn me about something, but before I can figure out what they are saying, the caustic soda leaking from the case I am sitting on eats my jeans! Goodbye old friends!


...

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love the photo! It's adorable. The first section kind of caught me off guard. You have a wonderful mix of sounds there. I wonder if you do this knowingly or if it comes naturally?

"Cargo, cement, cartons, chicklets, chewing, Canadian couple" --what a mouthful!

The caustic soda moment was also pleasant. Great read.

Thomas Wold said...

Hi Angela:

The baby monkey WAS cute. I enjoyed remembering it and drawing the cartoon.

The mix of sounds you noticed were just words I thought would communicate what happened. I didn't notice myself all the ca--ca--cas--but I am glad you noticed and pointed them out to me.

You would make a good writing teacher!