Thursday, December 3, 2009

73. One Week in Pucalpa



73.

One Week in Pucalpa:

How does one spend a week in Pucalpa--a town not known for culture, beauty or anything else?

The first day I spend searching for a place to stay.

This is a liberty port for Amazon sailors and rooms and beds are crowded but I finally find an empty bed in a small wooden cell of a room.


How to pass the rest of my week in Pucalpa?


Every day I go down to the “dock”, which is just the well-churned mud of the riverbank, and watch the longshoremen work.


I see hollow-log boats equipped with motors and filled with people which come and go like buses on land.


And I observe Zapalotes, big ugly vulture-like birds which slowly flap over to the centrally located riverbank garbage dump to fight the loose dogs and pigs for refuse.


It’s also entertaining to watch the pretty, brown, miniskirted Pucalpa girls navigate through the muck in their modish stack-soled shoes.



...

2 comments:

Angela said...

I don't think I ever put it together--but I just realized you must have drawn all your images. Amazing, they're delightful storybook collections. I especially like the image for the previous post with the people standing around, I would say a friendly van gogh pops into my mind.

Zapalotes, that definitely gave me an experience for Pucalpa.

I admire how frequently you've updated...consistently too. Something I need to work on. It seems you have great inspiration. Have a great week!

Thomas Wold said...

Hi, Angela.

Thank you again for your thoughtful comment.

I like having another writer--and a very good one--critique my blog in a friendly way.

Yes, I am illustrating the "Earthprobe" section of "Imhotep Construction Company" which is--I guess you could call it--my "leaves of Grass"--all the writing I have done which I like.

I have always liked "art" and much enjoy drawing and coloring the cartoons.

One of the best things about blogs is that I can go right ahead and publish to the world without selling anything! I don't have to convince an editor that my stuff is good enough to sell--I don't have to do hardly anything earlier writers had to do--I just do my own personal best and THAT is good enough!

Vincent has always been one of my all-around heroes--and "a friendly Van Gogh" is high praise indeed. Thank you VERY much!

I hope you continue to enjoy my "earthprobe" adventure.

Best wishes. TW