Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Colorado Alligators part one



Colorado Alligators


Big Brother Joe was (and is) the best of big brothers.

I have seen 8mm home movies Dad and Mom made of us as little children-- me in dresses before I could walk; Bro Joe and me a little later wearing the child-sized "sailor suits" so much fancied by the stylish young couples of my parent's generation-(I have never attained greater elegance!).

In these flickering family movies of long ago I am always receiving the fond caresses of Brother Joe. He is always patting my head or helping me to walk or whatever--and this was not just the work of my movie director Mom. Joe was really like that!

But, of course, a big brother must have his fun too and it is his duty to toughen his little brother for the blows of life. All brothers, as a part of their "socialization and growing up" learn to accept the casual incidents of this educational process.

One summer, as good luck would have it, my Dad was hired to play drums in a dance band at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado for the summer season. This was when the Second World War was about to end such civilian fun and games "for the duration".

I was five going on six at the time.

My family "camped out" for the summer in a very small house trailer at "Craig's Court" on the banks of the fresh and delicious snow-fed torrent, the Big Thompson River.

That this was paradise for a child I accepted, as no more than my due--in fact, from my limited experience, I assumed that all children were living as we were living.

(continued tomorrow)



...



No comments: