Tuesday, July 12, 2011

6. Clay


As I said, I had no experience with ceramics but soon became very involved with the craft, working at it in all my spare time and, since the tasks I did for Elisabetta were usually finished in a couple of morning hours, I worked with clay--you could say--full time and more--day and night--lost myself in the work and completely enjoyed myself!

Elisabetta gave me full run of the ceramic studio as well as the Il Poggio workshops--in fact the run of all the buildings and spaces in her huge sprawling antique stone dwelling. 

I had free use of any clay, glazes, throwing wheels, drying shelves or tools. She did all the firing--loading  and unloading the kiln and so forth--herself.  

She allowed me to watch her work and the other professional ceramists also answered my questions, gave me advice and let me watch them work.

Since I had NO experience in the field, I didn't know what you can't do with clay--so I did the most, to them, outrageous things, which they thought was great fun--like unheard of experiments!

They did warn me to make every item I produced hollow with an air passage out and of an almost uniform thickness so my creations would not explode in the kiln and destroy their own hard work.


...

No comments: