Monday, July 25, 2011

14. The Food



The Food

The Food!

Oh, my dears, The Food! THE FOOD!

Elisabetta was a Master Cook. (Chef is too effete!)

Lucky for all of us at Il Poggio--guests and staff--and even temporary employees like me--were welcome at the big dining room Lazy Susan table, the outdoor Marble topped table in the patio at lunch, the Swiss style plenty of everything and eat all you want breakfasts.

When she appeared at the entrance of the dining room with a huge bowl of steaming pasta--strong men wept for joy! 

As I said, Elisabetta practically lived in the kitchen--always on her favorite stool by the fireplace or preparing or supervising other staff in the preparation of meals.

Her family had been in the hotel business for generations--with the current grand family hotel being on Lago Majori on the Italian side--and she maintained the noble tradition wonderfully well.

Since one of my chores was to carry out the kitchen garbage, I can certify that everything used in food preparation  except tomato-paste was natural and fresh (I did find tomato paste cans in the trash!)


...

No comments: