Saturday, July 16, 2011

10. Early Birds


Elisabetta assigned me another job which I liked a lot.

She asked me to get up early every day and feed the chickens and ducks which were a part of the Il Poggio family.


I spent some  years as a kid on a half-acre family farm "The Three Willow Ranch" in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and learned to take care of chickens, pigeons, ducks, turkeys, pigs, calves, donkeys, cats and dogs, a desert turtle and other critters large and small--so I knew what to do.

When I was a boy I didn't much like doing "the chores", but at Il Poggio I thoroughly enjoyed them. 

It was fun for me in the very early Tuscan morning  to throw grain to some eager birds and watch them merrily dine!

I especially admired the two huge multi-colored roosters--the way they would scratch the earth for the hens and then stand tall and bright-eyed alert while the females would peck, peck, peck  at whatever was there to eat. Such gentlemen!


Oddly enough, at Il Poggio there was no cat and no dog!




...

..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas,

It's been awhile. So nice to come by and see you're still writing, updating, drawing. Always nice to read your posts. Keep up the great work!

angela

Thomas Wold said...

Hello Angela. Thanks for checking my blog again. Communication is so important to me I would write and draw even in an empty room! My wife usually likes my stuff so the room is not entirely empty!! TW