Wednesday, December 22, 2010

203, A Good Day



Backpacking north out of Beirut, I stop at a fruit stand on the outskirts of the city. The vendor picks out his best apple and gives it to me! He won’t accept payment!! 

I walk on feeling good.

A ragged woman in Palestinian costume, carrying a baby, asks me for alms. I refuse and then realize I have missed my chance to repay the apple kindness! Luckily, another woman carrying a baby soon appears and asks for money. I give her what I can and continue to walk feeling better and better. 

I pass a vegetable market and see some carrots. They look delicious. I think how good one would taste but want to save every penny I have. A few minutes later, there is a big fresh carrot for me lying beside the highway! 

It’s THAT kind of a day!


...

No comments: