Tuesday, June 22, 2010

147. Sudan


147.

Germaine, Sudan: Our first stop is the small airstrip here. Germaine, as I have seen from the air, is flooded with brown water from a river that normally flows through town between narrow banks. Back into the sky: the earth below seems smashed into ragged mountains.

El Fashar, Sudan: A river is flooding here too; all the nearby farmland and roads are under dirty brown water.

On the gravel airstrip, men in green military uniforms move drought emergency supplies with new trucks--a Dutch food airlift. Newspapers are now in Arabic instead of French. In fact, the “Arabs” here look more like what I expect Arabs to look like--but the only word I understand of some overheard conversations is “OK”.


The flight soon continues over what appears to be a huge ocean with the water removed! I am sure glad I am not down there walking! Now here’s something far below I have always wanted to see: The Nile! We soon land in Khartoum.



...

No comments: