Thursday, January 7, 2010

89. Rio de Janiero


89.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:

I find a cheap old hotel on the wrong side of this famous town and go exploring.

This is a fine city with a healthy mix of old and new architecture. My favorite is a high-rise that looks like an inverted hot drink cup.

The people come in all sizes and colors and are all dressed to kill. My own costume is still presentable but I feel pretty shabby compared to the elegantly dressed men all around me. As a traveler I always feel this way in a glamorous city. I can’t shine in a backpacker’s wardrobe and I stare at the beautiful clothes in the men’s shops with longing.
Well, I can’t be a clotheshorse and a backpacker too and I’ve made my choice. But...

I come to town dressed up so fine

With nothin’ much going on in my mind.

A pretty city girl says she’ll be mine,

But it’s “Money, money, money.”
all the time.

I give her pretty clothes
and a heart so true...
But The Joker gave her those
and a Cadillac too!

I go back to the country when I’m broke,

Thinkin’ that life is a cruel, stale joke.

She stays in the city with my clothes on her back

Ridin’ with the Joker in her Cadillac.



...

No comments: