Tuesday, January 5, 2010

87. Southern Cross


87.

Southern Cross


Sometimes it is hard to stay alone when traveling.

For example, a young Swiss fellow attaches himself to me aboard the Anna Nery and follows me off the ship into Belem. He is very persistent and wants to go with me to Rio and then to Africa. He uses me for moral support and tour guide but for me it is like free baby-sitting. I finally have to go through an elaborate deception to ditch him. I pretend to be going on a sightseeing bus with him and when he is safely aboard, I jump off and disappear.

“I vant to be alone.”

Belem to Brasilia, Brazil: the bus is air conditioned and first-class; the highway is paved and level all the way. The prices are higher than in the other parts of South America I have sampled, but the journey is far more pleasant. My companions on the bus are two young English teachers and an entertaining young boxer. The trip takes a couple of days as we pass from jungle to forest surroundings.

During a night rest pause I see the Southern Cross clearly for the first time.
Somehow I feel I have seen it before.


...

No comments: