Friday, January 29, 2010

100. Road to Joproken



100.


The stress-free rest, familiar American-style home cooking, pure water and easy-going fellowship at Brother Joe’s African house are making me feel healthy and ready for the road again, so when I am invited to I go with a group of missionaries into the bush to visit Joproken village I am ready.

Joe's carryall takes us thru miles of rubber trees with slashed trunks bleeding sap into little cups. There are many clots of pedestrians walking on the road dressed in yards of flamboyant cotton cloth.


We pass many “slash and burn” farms where “upland rice” is grown. This rice is the staple food of the Liberians but is grown quite differently from the paddy rice of Japan. I don’t think anything I would learn from the Japanese farmers would apply here.


My companions say there are wild elephants and other animals back in the jungle but we don’t see any.


At a rest stop a small boy offers to sell me a baby python curled up at the bottom of a fruit jar so I guess there are wild critters about.



...

No comments: