Tuesday, June 16, 2009

10 Guadalajara


(Click on illustration for higher definition)
10.

Guadalajara:


After a one day and one night journey, my bus arrives at the Guadalajara Central Bus Station at four in the morning.

A drowsy girl sits in a dirty booth selling trinkets and cheap jewelry. There are no customers. A pile of blankets beside her moves and a little child’s face peers out.

This is a hard life for a young mother I think.


At this hour the city is very dark and very cold. I always thought Mexico was hot!

I find a cheap place to stay and then wander around the City of the Song. Lots of cars and lots of dust. I am feeling rather depressed by everything but especially by the squalor and blankness of the place. There are lots of people in the streets, but to me they seem like shadows or the inhabitants of an unpleasant dream.

There are eucalyptus trees in the dry parks. Sturdy world travelers, these trees—their healing scent reminds me of the green forests of Hawaii--that memory makes this dreary city a little more bearable.


Tomasito, 2009


...

No comments: