Monday, April 20, 2009

5. Born to Move



5


Born to Move


I have always loved movement and travel. When I was a schoolboy I would study the illustrated encyclopedia’s articles about the wonders of the world and I longed to see with my own eyes the Great Pyramid in Egypt, the Himalayas of India the Holy Sepulcher in Israel and other marvelous sights around the world.

And I came from a "religious" family.

My great-grandfather was a Methodist circuit-riding preacher in West Texas and New Mexico and as a teenager I was a youth leader in another Christian church–– but an organization that did not recognize pilgrimage as a method of devotion.

Long Before I ever had the notion of making a pilgrimage myself, I had backpacked around the world and seen many of the places I had dreamed of seeing and had broadened my "spiritual perspectives" by exploring several religious traditions.

Tomasito, 2009


...

No comments: