Saturday, April 25, 2009

9. Prayer Mantras

Stone "Celtic" Cross in Forest Near Kolbermoor, Germany. (Tomasito photo)


9


Prayer "Mantras"


I have noticed that these different mantra-type prayers do not seem to have exactly the same effect on me, but they all seem righteous and good.

Of course, before they become a Prayer of the Heart I think they must be repeated many, many, many times since faithful, continuous practice seems necessary.

If the above seems foolish to you--well, it seemed foolish to me too. I had to experience the work myself—and that meant abandoning some prejudices and expending some effort.

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained” is more than a folk saying.


Perhaps a person should also have reached a particular state of need in their spiritual development when this sort of activity is right--though I am not sure about this.


When I have finished “pilgrimming” and have stopped reciting the mantras, their total effect has continued to be beneficial to me, I think, though in exactly WHAT way I really could not say.


Tomasito, 2009


...

No comments: