Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pilgrimage to Holy Mountain 17


17




Living at Saint Anne’s:


My life at Hagia Anna soon becomes more routine and it is a very pleasant life indeed. There are definite times for doing everything–rising and eating, work and prayer, but since I am not a professed Orthodox Christian, I am not expected to do anything “religious”, though I am invited to join the monks anytime if I wish.

Before long I realize that the steady, orderly pace of life at the monastery is very conducive to a tranquil sprint.

And, I also notice that, though there is never any rush to do anything, everything seems to get done and to get done well.

I had expected that without a woman’s touch things would be more than a bit dirty and work would be carelessly done, but to my surprise, though most of the buildings, gardens and such are extremely old and somewhat faded, everything is neat as a pin.

I like to help out wherever I am so the first morning I grab a broom and help the monks prepare the quarters for the next daily crop of pilgrims, but when they find out I have some basic carpentry and building maintenance skills, they ask me to assist a lay member of the staff, Max, with some repairs to the buildings.

For our first project together, Max and I pour a concrete pad and construct a practical wooden gazebo where the day’s crop of pilgrims can sit in the shade in the heat of the day. This structure now stands on a plot of earth within the monastery enclosure where there is a spectacular view of the seacoast and the mountain behind the monastery.

This project takes several days and already the days of my first week are drawing to a close. I am hopeful that my stay on holy mountain will be extended since I am beginning to feel useful and I am becoming acclimatized to the specialness of the place. So I am delighted when Father Athanasius says I can stay on for another week and, with his weekly permission, perhaps longer as a guest of the community at Saint Anne’s. I will continue to sleep in the rooms assigned to pilgrims and to take my meals in the refectory with the monks.


...



No comments: