Thursday, January 8, 2009

Return to Penngrove 3


Fairlane Commuting Back Then


Novato was, in those days, a pretty, little new town about a half hour’s drive north of San Francisco--one of the instant towns that were mushrooming along the almost brand new US 101 Freeway.

I rented a simple two bedroom cottage for about $95 a month, if I remember it correctly, which was cheap even for those days. However, though rent and other expenses were low, finding work was hard.

As stated, I vaguely hoped to continue my drumming and my rock and roll, but the nearest place I found where I could play music for pay, and then only on week-ends, was at an upscale motel, The El Rancho, in Santa Rosa, a bigger small town fifty or so miles farther north on 101.


Commuting in those days was easy and fun since 101 was practically empty of traffic, especially at night.

I had purchased, for $800 cash, an almost new, big, wide, powerful, splendid “two-toned” (blue bottom-- white top!), Ford Fairlane automobile––and cruising to and fro alone in it was pure pleasure for a lively young chap like me.

I joined the Santa Rosa Musicians Union and through that organization found the weekend drumming job with a trio at the El Rancho Motel, which I see is still alive and well in a much, much, much bigger Santa Rosa.

Tomasito, 2009


...

No comments: