Wednesday, September 21, 2011

36.One-man Show




I made several visits to Il Poggio over a period of four or five years--an always welcome part-time unpaid worker-- and I eventually accumulated enough finished pottery objects  to have a one-man show in Elisabetta's gallery.

I thought it would be more interesting to have some artwork made by the other artists at Il Poggio, so my show was not a strictly one-man affair.


One of the young German woman potters also did clever needlework--decorating old blue jeans and shirts which I thought was very interesting--so I asked her to show some of her creations along with mine.


Elisabetta's sister Dora did some very unusual animal decorations on-ceramic  plates and large salad bowls--so I asked her to show some of her work too.


Occasionally Elisabetta would make suggestions to me about the exhibition and about what to include and the show shaped up into a nice eclectic selection of work, but she left me pretty much alone to do what I wanted.


There was no stress or pressure at all in the preparation and I was quite oblivious to the passage of time at Il Poggio--doing my usual chores and adding to the show pieces as I wanted.


One afternoon Elisabetta asked me to carry some trays of sandwiches and fresh fruit out to the gallery and I was happy to comply.


"Who are these things for?" I asked her.


"For the opening of your show this evening. I have invited some of my friends which I think would like to see your exhibition."


Of course she had told me the date of my show, but I had so completely lost track of calendar time that I didn't even know that my big evening had arrived!




...

No comments: