Wednesday, August 17, 2011

23. Free and Easy




At the time of my life I am writing about I was in a sort of free-fall state of being.

I was in Europe for the first time in my life with no particular ambition or reason to be anywhere or do anything.


I had been a US Navy sailor, rock 'n roll musician and a university professor--divorced twice with my  best latest good lady friend killed in an airplane accident. I had been around the world with a backpack and that is how and where I found myself.


And I was really enjoying my work and stay at Il Poggio. 

I liked Elisabetta. She was different--a "boss" I could both like and respect. She was low-key but got things done. I think she was a few years older than me with a lifetime of European hotel management in a classy Italian/Swiss Lago Majori hotel, and she had bought and restored Il Poggio to be, like I said, her work of art.

Still, I was on the loose--free and easy--and after three or four months I was ready to move on.


So I left--backpacking toward the east with no particular goal--but I also kept in touch by mail.



...



No comments: