Thursday, August 11, 2011

21.Archaeological Dig

 

When I was a high school lad in Albuquerque, New Mexico, we Bulldogs (Go Bulldogs!) owned a ruined Indian pueblo on the west bank of the Rio Grande a few miles outside of town. There was enough interest in the science of archaeology for the school to hire a teacher and conduct one class and I was one of the lucky students in that class.

It was fun to learn about the way to dig old stuff up and think about the culture which had produced the artifact. We took a field trip or two to our Indian pueblo and I even helped find some bone needles buried with the remains of a body beneath the floor of one of the little rooms we excavated--just like Indiana Jones though he came years later!

So when I was at Il Poggio I was wondering if the Old people had left anything under the grass for me to find. 
I was walking up to the main building one day with a spade in my hand after doing some gardening  and just for fun I took a couple of shovelfuls of dirt out below the bank of the access road. 

Holy Cow! There was a cool tiny glass bottle--very old--at the bottom of the hole!

That is the ONLY hole I dug and it was only a foot or two deep. 

I know you don't believe this story but its true.

I gave the bottle to Elisabetta and she displayed it with some other prized objects in a glass-fronted case in the dining room.
 
...

No comments: