Thursday, June 30, 2011

2. Proposition



The hotel--or Bed and Breakfast called Il Poggio (The Hill) is, or was-- since I don't know about it's present condition-- a fine ancient cut-stone building originally constructed by the Medici family on a sunny hilltop  surrounded by a small forest of pine and cypress. trees.


The main building had been a  country estate. When I discovered it the owner had converted into an eight bedroom hotel. 

The building, more solid than elegant, had heavy wooden shutters and massive front doors--a two story structure with mossy pink tile roof.

The owner, Elizabeth Studer, welcomed me warmly--as she did all her guests--and asked how long I planned to stay. When I said a night or two she said, "Perhaps you wold like to stay a bit longer, if you are not in a hurry to be somewhere. I would like to invite you to stay here to help out--you can work for me a half day and have the rest of your time for yourself. Your rent and meals would be free and I will pay you something to keep you in spending money. The work would never be very hard. Why not try it for a while to see if it would be enjoyable for you?"


.....

No comments: