Friday, November 26, 2010

192. Collection

192.

Back out in the darkened church I collect myself.

Sunny has wandered off, talking to a handsome tourist. More monks sweep by in single file, their leader swinging a smoking censor of incense. Their chanting, sliding up and down the scale, is as good as Maha Vishnu

"Aum…Aum…Aum…"

I follow them up some stairs to the place of crucifixion with my mind completely out of gear. I let the music carry me along. 

Old monks. This singing is their Zen thing.

In another part of this huge church an organ is playing and other voices are singing.

Soon the old monks leave and a boy’s choir marches in. Their leader, a big monk in black beard and pointy hat is a character straight from the movie about the Spanish Inquisition, “The Devils”. Bringing up the rear of the boy’s act is a six-foot six, two hundred fifty pound monk. None of the kids gets out of line and everybody sings loud!

...

No comments: