Saturday, November 20, 2010

189. Sunny and Chagall

189.

Sunny and Chagall


When I return to my room in the afternoon I find a note from Sunny slipped under the door. She has also “crossed over the Jordan” and taken a room down the hall. We soon get together and swap traveler’s yarns. She has crossed the Atlantic in a thirty-foot sailboat and bicycled all over Europe. I have done what I have done.


Next day we visit the Hadasa Hospital together to see Chagall’s famous stained glass windows.


Before viewing the windows, all of us tourists (and there are about a hundred of us) sit for a slide show depicting the history of the hospital. This entertainment is pure propaganda, of course, and we are expected to choose the right side in mortal combat. After the slide show, we all know who we are and who our enemy is. But I can only remember the cartoon character, Pogo, who stated the case even more succinctly, I think, when he said: “We have met the enemy and they are us!”


Chagall’s “painting with light” is inspiring.

...

No comments: