Monday, April 5, 2010

129. Peanut Riot


129.

The bus makes a noonday rest stop at what might be named “Destitutionburg”.

In a sort of mud store near where the bus stops I buy five shillings worth of peanuts in the shell.

It turns out to be quite a few peanuts, so I start handing some out to the dozen or so beggars that always follow me around. My gift causes a free-for-all mini riot and I claw my way back into back into the bus very shaken and with no peanuts!


We make another rest pause in the next village but there is nothing at all to buy to eat but some hard-boiled eggs.

I am so hungry I buy five.

To get some food into myself and to avoid a riot, I’m peeling the shells off inside the bus and tossing the shells out the window when I hear a commotion. I look out and down to see fifteen or so children of all sizes fighting for the eggshells—hoping I have left some egg stuck on them for them to eat.

Just as I look out the window--one of these kids looks up to see if I will toss some more. There is a momentary him-to-me, face-to-face eye contact.

The child has one monster eyeball the size of a baseball and the other eye as small as a kid's toy marble.

This really freaks me out.



...

No comments: