Saturday, April 3, 2010

128. Make No Enemies


128.

Kano, Nigeria: It’s dark again when we arrive here and it has been raining hard.. The truck depot where I dismount is knee deep in mud.

A drunk in army uniform offers to guide me to a hotel.

Two hours and five miles later, when he is sure I have no local currency with which to buy him a beer, he leaves me on a street corner. Our long hike sobered him up and tired me out but I am able to hike back to the “lorry park” where the adventure started.

The night watchman lets me sleep free on the concrete floor of the gas station/ office where I sleep like a baby, dreaming of attending a high society ball with beautiful women and stimulating conversation.


At daybreak I find a man who will change money--find where I can catch a bus to my next destination, Maiduguri--help some beggars a little--and buy and eat a half-pound of fresh dates.


I am still reading Chinua Achebe’s book. His practical advice for today is: “A traveler to distant places should make no enemies”. That’s for sure!


...

No comments: