Thursday, February 18, 2010

111.Tappita, Liberia


111.


Tappita, Liberia:


This town is on the border of Ivory Coast; a day’s ride from Monrovia in an old taxi.

I find a night’s shelter and a good Lebanese meal in the home of one of my brother Joe’s friends.

The over-the-dinner talk is about how good married life is. The best part is that there is always someone to take care of you when you are sick, they say.


I have most unusual dreams. I am visited by African animal spirits and when I wake a dream-song lingers in my ears:



“This is the answer,
The secret of the heart;

That love is touching souls,

And that touch is the start…”


...

2 comments:

Angela said...

I believe I just heard about your brother Joe :) I hope you let him know about your paperback publication. These are all wonderful to read as your audience member. But he's family and I'm sure these would touch him in different ways than it does me.

There's so much texture: Ivory coast, Monrovia, Lebanese, African. These always brings the text to life.

Thomas Wold said...

Hi Angela,

Bro Joe and I communicate often and are good friends. He has copies of the paper edition of "Earthprobe" which I sent to him when the book was first printed in 1976. He has not been following my blog of the same material though and that was why it was such a surprise for me to get the old photo of our African adventure from him on the same day I posted it as a blog illustration!

Thanks very much for your comment!