Wednesday, March 23, 2011

281. UN in Kabul


Polly, the great world traveler I met in San Augustine, Colombia, told me that Kabul was one of her very favorite spots on earth. It sure does not impress me! It is dirty, poor and freezing cold, but I decide to stay a while to see if I can experience anything that will change my first impressions.


I ask the hotel man if he can provide me with a writing table and he takes out the spare bed and brings in a big leather covered table. It is wonderful for drawing. In the market I buy frozen cauliflower, raisins, assorted dried seeds and figs. Here comes the familiar diarrhea again.


Earthquakes wake me in the night. I develop a cough that gets worse and worse. I meet a man on the street who says he is looking for an artist to design some silkscreen prints. I show him my drawings and he takes me to the United Nations Radio Station office. They want me to design and print a poster advertising their teacher-training program. I accept the job. While I am in the Radio Station building there is an earthquake but I am the only one to run out into the street. Earthquakes are so common here no one pays attention to them. 


...

No comments: