Tuesday, August 17, 2010

174. Damascus, Syria


174.

Damascus, Syria:


The taxi driver drops me in the heart of the city.

Uniformed soldiers, beige and olive camouflaged trucks and jeeps swarm in the street.

World War Three may have started and it looks like I am right in the middle of it, but the clerk in the bank where I change some money says that I should not be alarmed; this is “business as usual”, he says, in Damascus.


Damascus is too exciting for me though, after the relative calm of Magic Valley, so I stay only one night and depart by bus in the morning to Amman, Jordan.


I have heard that it is possible to enter Israel from Jordan near Amman if you don’t have any visa stamps from Arab countries in your passport so I have been carefully getting my visas stamped on separate sheets that I can remove from my passport.

Obviously, I will come from an Arab country when I cross the border from Jordan, but there will be no Arab stamps in my passport and that is what counts. Absurd isn’t it? Well, I don’t make the rules and I would like to visit some of the usual touristic places in Israel.



...

No comments: