Tuesday, November 17, 2009

68. I Follow the Wind


68.


New Zealander Louise Sutherland sits beside me on this fairly comfortable train.

Louise is a “push-bike” traveler who has ridden her bike all over the world.


She made her first bicycle trip 25 years ago and has been traveling, on and off, ever since.

She now rides a bike with three gears and a trailer, which she designed herself and had made in an English bicycle shop. She is the author of a book called “I Follow the Wind” which she sells at women’s club meetings in England, when she is asked to speak about her adventures. She left her bike in Lima to make this train trip, which is advertised as the “highest train journey in the world”.


She tells me that she had settled down to a humdrum ordinary existence and almost gave up her adventurous ways but recently woke up to the fact that she had become just another human plodding to the grave without realizing her potential to go and see this amazing world for herself.

Something to think about for sure.


...

2 comments:

Angela said...

I enjoy the details, especially that she sells her book at women's club meetings in England. There's a mix of humor in here that I appreciate. The ending is nice, the one sentence re-telling of what the woman said. Looking forward to your next post!

Thomas Wold said...

Again, Thanks for your perceptive comment.

I am on "auto pilot" most of the time when I write--not too aware of the impact on the reader--so thanks for the editorial comment.

I think I picked up my story-telling style from my father who was a good one--with a subtle Norwegian sense of humor about almost everything he said--though he never wrote. TW