Saturday, October 31, 2009

61. Macchu Picchu Station


61

Macchu Picchu Station


As the train slows to a stop, cunning, better informed tourists stand and jam the train exits, then sprint for the four blue microbuses that will carry them up the hairpins of the paved road leading to the famous ruins.

The buses are filled in an instant and the first lucky passengers careen off toward the “lost city” barely visible on a pinnacle far above. Left below, the majority of the grumbling tourists must wait for the buses to return for another load.


I am in no hurry.

Perhaps a little smugly I leave the impatient throng of tourists and hike back down the train tracks. I have heard that if you walk back through the two dark train tunnels before the Macchu Picchu station you will find a tiny village called Aguas Caliente. That’s where I’m headed.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm working on a manuscript now. And because of that I can't help but be attracted to great sentence structure, beginnings and endings. This entire scene is shown in 6 sentences, varying length and not over-doing the descriptions or listings. Please continue!