Wednesday, September 16, 2009

51. Time and Perspective in Art


51.

Time and Perspective in Art


Now, sitting in this mellow candlelit room, I am thinking about time and perspective.

It occurs to me that what we see as “perspective” is actually “time made visible”. I have absolutely no business speculating in a field I know practically nothing about, but it seems to me tonight that “plane geometry” operating as it does with no regard to perspective is merely a fairly useful fiction. Geometry, in experience, is always a function of time.

Well, there it is, and I don’t expect this personal revelation to change the world much, but, true or not, it is interesting for me to ponder.

In my latest drawings I use a “moving point of view” which does not capture a scene from one place at one time, but which is as flexible as my own changing point of view. I don’t think these “works of art” will be popular, but they are fun for me to make!


...

No comments: